Meet Our Animal Care Companions
Portland Mutt Strut, LLC, an Oregon-licensed, insured and bonded company based in NE Portland has been providing dog walking and pet sitting services since January 2009. A locally-owned and operated company, our team of dog walkers and pet sitters will give you our fullest attention, your pets the finest of care and show you why we were named:
Top Dog #1 Pet Sitter "By a Landslide!"
2015, 2013, 2012 and 2011 – Spot Magazine's Readers
Wag More, Worry Less. The health and happiness of your pets, and your own confidence and peace of mind is of utmost importance to us. You're inviting Portland Mutt Strut's dog walkers and pet sitters into your home to care for your beloved pets. This partnership is based on respect and professionalism and we nurture that relationship with the highest commitment to quality and compassion.
Our Animal Care Companions, Only the Best. While your best friend enjoys their normal at-home routine, you too can rest assured that, next to you, they are in the best of all possible hands. All of Portland Mutt Strut's professional dog walkers and pet sitters are stringently screened, carefully trained and regularly reviewed.
Our professional dog walkers and pet sitters not only love and treat your pets as they do their own, but each has extensive animal care experience, including the skills involved in walking all types of dogs. So, whether it's a rambunctious puppy with energy to burn or a senior citizen cat with diabetes that needs medication, you can count on Portland Mutt Strut's dog walkers and pet sitters to provide a level of care, affection and attention second only to yours.
The hallmark of our dog walking and pet sitting team is our EXPERIENCE. We only hire the very best who meet Portland Mutt Strut's strict criteria:
- Extensive animal handling skills
- Passion and love for all animals
- Superior customer service skills
- 100% commitment to our clients
- Unwavering reliability
- Experience in administering medication/treatments
- Ability to think on their feet and calmly handle any situation that may arise
Portland Mutt Strut gladly takes on the pets that other dog walkers and pet sitters would prefer not to handle, such as:
- The big strong dog who overreacts to other dogs on his walk
- The sneaky cat that disappears when it's time for medication
- The frightened rabbit that needs its space and lots of time to warm up to others
- The young dog who needs to learn proper etiquette and whose mission in life is to pull you down the street with wild abandon
- The home with a full brood of pets, each with special needs, including customized meals and routines, wide array of medications and orchestrated sleeping arrangements
- Founder and Owner of Portland Mutt Strut, LLC
- Manages all aspects of the business including day-to-day operations, marketing, finance, contracts and customer service
- Full-time Animal Care Companion
Patricia's love of animals propelled her to follow her passion full-time and start Portland Mutt Strut. As a former Oregon Humane Society Volunteer for over ten years, she developed extensive experience handling and walking all types of dogs. Her animal handling and team leading skills have proven invaluable during technical rescues involving dogs, cats, rabbits and other animals, including these disaster and neglect rescues:
- New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina: part of the Humane Society of the United States largest animal rescue and sheltering operation handling and caring for over 200 "challenging breeds" after their rescue from the hurricane
- St. Louis, Missouri: aided the local Humane Society in providing daily care for over 500 pit bulls rescued from a Federal bust of a multi-state dog fighting ring
- Burns, Oregon: participated with the Oregon Humane Society in rescuing over 130 feral dogs from cruel mistreatment and neglect and followed up by aiding in their rehabilitation to get ready for adoption
- Angel's Rest and Mt. Hood, Oregon: aided in two different technical rescues of a dog fallen off a cliff, requiring extensive hiking and technical equipment knowledge and high-angle rescue skills
- Hillsboro, Oregon: aided Hillsboro Police in the care of over 100 rabbits rescued from a hoarding household
- Chehalis, Washington: participated with the Oregon Humane Society in rescuing and transporting over 25 cats from a hoarding household
A continual learner, Patricia studies and learns from dog training experts though workshops, books and videos. She also instructs her Animal Care Companions in the proper skills and knowledge needed for any scenario they may encounter while dog walking or pet sitting. But her best teachers are her four-legged animals who continually educate and inspire Patricia every day.
- Animal Care Companion since Mar 2012
Jessica is an animal lover to the core. She is an active volunteer at the West Columbia Gorge Humane Society in Washougal, WA since 2009. She not only cares for, cleans cages and loves up on the cats there, but she participates in numerous outreach events and provides foster care for the shelter animals in her own home.
Being with her two-legged and four-legged family is how Jessica spends her free time. She also enjoys reading, watching movies and walking dogs. She has grown up with cats and dogs and had a budding business while in her teens pet sitting rats, gerbils, birds, guinea pigs and even a couple of chickens and ducks! We are extremely lucky to have her experience with us.
Her family of pets includes her dog Asia (pictured here) as well as her clowder of cats, SeaSea, MoMo, Kirk and Beatle Mew.
- Animal Care Companion
since Aug 2015
Brenda’s passion for animals is clearly evident by reading her extensive resume of pet sitting jobs which began in 1987. From the hyper Chihuahua to the protective Doberman to the sensitive Great Dane, Brenda brings this experience to us and we are very fortunate to have her on our team. She is also a feline fanatic as well as a chicken coop keeper. Her enthusiasm and dedication is infectious.
Brenda is an active volunteer at the West Columbia Gorge Humane Society where she attends to both the cats and dogs in their care. She has honed her skills in transporting and handling cats as well as dispensing medications to those canines and felines who’d rather not take the pill – a fine art, indeed!
She has completed her Pet First Aid and CPR class and takes continuing education classes through her volunteer work at the shelter, including dog handling, walking techniques and how to handle dogs of unknown temperament. Brenda is a delightful person and enjoys her two-legged and four-legged family.
- Animal Care Companion
since Aug 2015
Laurie traded the sunny skies of Arizona for the cloudy weather of Portland, but she is thrilled to be here and to be on our team. To say that Laurie is “enthusiastic” is an understatement. She is a go-getter who loves learning and won’t shy away from any challenge. Laurie is our resident runner and for those dogs who want it and need it, she is their gal and they love her.
She volunteered as a dog runner at a shelter and gave her time and talent as a foster mom for a cat shelter.Laurie is currently studying dog behavior and training techniques and is on the hunt to learn more in order to fully serve our clients. She has trained in Pet First Aid and CPR. Her cat at home benefits from her love and affection.
Laurie also loves children and served as an instructor and Arts Department Chair for grades 5 to 12. She received her BA in Theater Arts Teacher Certification from University of Arizona. Laurie thoroughly enjoys performing as a character entertainer at children’s parties – yep, she’s got the full Elmo and Minnie Mouse costumes to prove it!
- Animal Care Companion
since Aug 2015
Kayte is our resident “Cat Whisperer” and has lured many a shy or scared cat from its hiding place to her comforting lap. And of course her passion is not limited to the feline persuasion as canines love her as well. Kayte is a natural caregiver having worked with human seniors and patients in rehabilitation. She works as a “Spay and Save” Assistant at the Oregon Humane Society which is a program to spay as many cats as possible to reduce cat populations all throughout the Portland Metro and to save lives.
Our two- and four-legged clients appreciate her compassion and gentle approach to make everyone at ease in a new situation. She takes ongoing educational classes to further her skills and is certified in Pet First Aid and CPR as well as EAS (Emergency Animal Sheltering) through OHS. She is at ease with administering medication to reluctant cats and dogs.
Kayte graduated magna cum laude from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S. in Rehabilitation and a minor in Psychology. Kayte lives with her rescue dog Baxter whom she adores. She also tries to find time to volunteer at OHS and Fences for Fido.
- Overnight Animal Care Companion
since Sep 2010
Stephanie is one of our Overnight specialists and we are so happy to have her part of our team. She is an animal lover and advocate since childhood. She would bring home strays and beg her parents to let her keep them, so she had many pets growing up. Also Stephanie was quite the entrepreneur as a teenager – she would often approach pet owners in her neighborhood asking to walk their dog for them during the summer.
Stephanie has been a pet sitter for over 14 years and continues to study animal care and behavior by taking educational courses through Dove Lewis and the Oregon Humane Society. She is also quite the crafter. Stephanie makes home-made dog and cat treats, leash hangers and organic dog soaps and sells them at bazaars and craft shows and donates a portion of the proceeds to the Oregon Humane Society.